A few of my accounts now have the ability to “click to call” for smart phone enabled searches. This makes total sense for those searching on a smart phone to avoid filling out onerous forms and just “click to call” as explained by google.
We’ve been running search on smart phone devices for some time, and found that our 3 field form was converting at a decent cost per lead, we can only imagine what will happen when those same users can click a link to your phone number and call for a live person. We are using tracking phone numbers so we can see how many calls we get as a result, as the reporting doesn’t yet seem to be updated in Google’s reporting suite.
How do you know if your campaigns are eligible for “phone extensions”?
1. Log into your AdWords account, click on the “Campaign>Settings>Edit”, then under Networks, Products, and Extensions you should see “Display click-to-call phone number on iPhones and other mobile devices with full Internet browsers” and it should be listed there as an option, if it’s available to your account.
Note: Not all our clients who advertise on smart phones have this enabled at this time. But I would keep checking, as it just makes sense to test it out.
How does click to call | Phone Extensions work?
According to Google, “Phone extensions are a type of ad extension, an ad feature that allows advertisers to add additional information about their businesses and offering to their text ads. In the case of phone extension, this additional information is your business phone number, which can be accessed directly from the ad with a single click on a user’s high-end mobile device.
Phone extensions will appear as clickable phone numbers beneath the main text ad, and will be visible to high-end mobile device users who access Google.com search, Voice search, Google Mobile App or Google Maps for Mobile from their phone.
When the mobile device user clicks on the phone number, you will be charged the same as for a standard click on the ad.”
How do I enable Click to Call | Phone Extensions?
2. After you confirm your campaign is eligible (see #1 above), click “edit” next to “display click-to-call phone number on iPhones and other mobile devices with full internet browsers.”
3. Check the “Display click-to-call phone number on iPhones and other mobile devices with full internet browsers” checkbox.
4. Click Save.
5. Enter a phone number you want to have the calls sent to. AKA Ring To #. Note: Vanity numbers not displayed as vanity numbers.
6. Click Save. That’s it. I’ll let you know how it works out after we get some data. Google also indicates they do not allow “premium numbers” – you know the type, 900#s in the US where the user will incur additional charges for the call?
Another reason to choose an agency who can be on top of the latest and greatest features! At Accelerate Online Marketing, we are involved in Beta’s, and constantly testing out new functionality for our clients to make the most of their paid search campaigns.
If you would like a free site analysis & consultation on your AdWords account, call 877-676-2010